Amateur Radio Exam Session
Exams offered for Technician, General, and Amateur Extra Class
What to Bring:
1. Photo Identification - State issued Drivers License or ID Card, Passport, or Military ID Card.
2. FCC Registration Number (FRN) - Required prior to exam, see details below.
3. (if upgrading) Official Copy
of current Amateur License or Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE certificate)
4. Valid Email address
5. Fee $15.00 per test session. Exact change please.
CORES FRN Requirement
- Applicants must use an FCC Registration Number (FRN
) for all license transactions with the FCC. Examinees must register in CORES
and receive an FRN before exam day. Exam Candidates you are REQUIRED to register in the FCC CORES system and receive a FCC Registration Number (FRN) before exam day. Applications that do not have an FRN will be rejected
by the FCC.
An instructional video
provides step-by-step instructions on how to establish a CORES account, which is necessary for licensees to make administrative updates and download electronic license authorizations.
- All filers must provide an email address
on all applications. When an email is provided, applicants will receive an official electronic copy of their licenses once granted (allow incoming email from email@example.com). If no email is provided when filing applications will be rejected. ARRL VEC suggests that those without access to email to use the email address of a family member or friend.
FCC Application Fee
- The $35 application fee applies to new, renewal, rule waiver, and modification applications that request a new vanity call sign. The fee is per application.
Administrative updates, such as a change of name, mailing or email address, and modification applications to upgrade an amateur radio licensee’s operator class or to request a sequentially issued call sign, are exempt from fees.
The fee will be per application.
When the FCC receives the examination information from the VEC, it will email a link with payment instructions to each successful candidate who then will have 10 calendar days from the date of the email to pay through the FCC CORES